Tuesday 24 August 2010

What Make Us

The question of 'Identity' is my priority.

Self Portrait: How is one to become oneself?

We are all learn from our past, how we manage to recognize our own figure and make sense of the world around us. We have tired out thousand of outfits, we like some and we dislike some, we turn and see once we reach at the place where we belong.

I asked several people (beloved friends) to sent in their photographs which chosen from their past and present. This collective experiment aimed to compare the self-image which taken from different time and learn to understand how is one to become oneself in the future.




The portrait photograph is a closed field of forces. In front of the lens, I am at the same time: the one I think I am, the one I want other to think I am, the one the photographer thinks I am, and the one he makes use of to exhibit his art. In other words, a strange action: I do not stop imitating myself, and because of this, each time I am (or let myself be) photographed, I invariably suffer from a sensation of inauthenticity, sometimes of imposture.
Roland Barthes, Camera Lucida 1980:13


The idea that we find our identities and then express them through clothes in a series of fixed messages is to simplify a complicated process. It is not just that our identities change but that we ourselves are passing through time, and through fashion itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment